Alkene Reactions - Organic Chemistry
In this video we go through the 7 Must-Know Reactions of Alkenes.
Must-Know Alkene Reaction
1. Reduction or hydrogenation of alkene to form alkane using hydrogen in platinium catalyst, heat
2. Bromination of alkene to form dibromoalkane using bromine in organic solvent at room temperature
3. Hydrobromination of alkene to form bromoalkane using HBr at room temperature
4. Electrophilic addition of alkene to form bromoalcohol with aqueous bromine at room temperature
5. Electrophilic addition of water to form alcohol using either of the following reagents and conditions:
a. concentrated H2SO4 at room temperature followed by water, heat
b. steam in concentrated H3PO4 at 350oC and 70 atm
6. Mild oxidation of alkene to form diol using cold KMnO4 in aqueous sodium hydroxide
7. Strong oxidation of alkene to form different organic compounds using hot KMnO4 in aqueous H2SO4
Memorising the reagents and conditions for these Alkene reactions is an integral part of Organic Chemistry, so I've added 2 short memory tests.
Let's see if you can remember all of them!
Alkene Concept Map
Download free Organic Chemistry concept maps here!
Topic: Alkenes, Organic Chemistry, A Level Chemistry, Singapore
Found this A Level Chemistry video useful?
Please LIKE this video and SHARE it with your friends!
Join my 1000+ subscribers on my YouTube Channel for new A Level Chemistry video lessons every week.
Check out other A Level Chemistry Video Lessons here!
Need an experienced tutor to make Chemistry simpler for you?