Benzene Reactions, Arene Reactions, Methylbenzene Reactions - Organic Chemistry
In this video we go through the 5 Must-Know Reactions of Benzene and 3 Must-Know Reactions of MethylBenzene.
Must-Know Benzene Reaction
1. Nitration of benzene to form nitrobenzene using concentrated HNO3 in concentrated H2SO4 at 50 to 60 degree celsius
2. Chlorination of benzene to form chlorobenzene using chlorine in AlCl3 catalyst
3. Bromination of benzene to form bromobenzene using bromine in FeBr3 catalyst
4. Friedel-Crafts Alkylation of benzene to form alkylbenzene using chloroalkane in AlCl3 catalyst
5. Friedel-Crafts Acylation of benzene to form acylbenzene using acid chloride in AlCl3 catalyst
Must-Know Methylbenzene Reaction
1. Nitration of methylbenzene to form 2-nitromethylbenzene and 4-nitromethylbenzene using concentrated HNO3 in concentrated H2SO4 at 30 degree celsius
2. Halogenation (Chlorination) of methylbenzene to form 2-choloromethylbenzene and 4-chloromethylbenzene using chlorine in AlCl3 catalyst
3. Oxidation of alkyl side chain using KMnO4 in dilute H2SO4, heat or reflux to form benzoic acid
Memorising the reagents and conditions for these benzene reactions is an integral part of Organic Chemistry, so I've added 2 short memory tests.
Let's see if you can remember all of them!
Topic: Benzene (Arenes), Organic Chemistry, A Level Chemistry, Singapore
Found this A Level Chemistry video useful?
Please LIKE this video and SHARE it with your friends!
Join my 1000+ subscribers on my YouTube Channel for new A Level Chemistry video lessons every week.
Check out other A Level Chemistry Video Lessons here!